Monday, October 22, 2007

Birthday Quilt finished!


On the long days of John's chemo, we're in the hospital for anywhere from 3-5 hours, so it's nice to have some sort of project I can do with my hands. Luckily, I remembered to bring the quilt I had been working on, about a month earlier. I finally finished putting on the binding a few weeks ago, and mailed it just in time to be about 1 1/2 months late for the little birthday girl. Better late than never, right? I had started hand quilting it, but quickly realized that it would take way too long. I settled for some straight lines across the quilt. I know quilting would have been much easier with a walking foot. I'm starting to think I should invest in one!



Anyway, I wasn't able to get the best pictures of the finished product, but I'm happy with the way the quilt came out. I added a little embroidery of her name, Grace Vita, and I think it was the perfect touch!

11 comments:

Jenn Maruska said...

Katie - awhile back I was wondering if I should get a walking foot or not. Someone left a comment on my blog that getting one would "change your life!" And they were RIGHT!

By all means - get yourself a walking foot! I use mine almost ALL THE TIME now. I don't know how I worked without it before.

Glad you finished your quilt and showed us photos - I'm sure it will be well loved by Grace : )

Karyn said...

Great quilt Katie!

Felicia said...

Very pretty indeed. I like the color combination.

lera said...

Beautiful job, Katie.

Anonymous said...

nice quilt. i love the embroidered name.

Anonymous said...

Such a pretty quilt! I think the embroidery is the perfect touch.

Anina said...

It's so cute, especially the embroidered name. You REALLY should get a walking foot. I not only use it for quilting, but it's great for anything that involves layers, like binding for instance.

Chara Michele said...

It looks quite lovely! :)

African Kelli said...

Oh my goodness -- I am so impressed! Way to focus your energy into something beautiful. !!

Heidijayhawk said...

i adore the quilt and i hope that the little gal is kept warm and cozy for many years to come.

Anna said...

I agree with the comments about the walking foot. Use it all the time and it is great for binding. Also, if you like to make blankets with chenille or minkee, it is great. (And if you haven't ever done that, you should try it.) Isn't sewing therapeutic? I think it is great to have a project to do when you are waiting for your hubby. I have just found your blog but feel like we are kindred spirits. I will be visiting often and putting and link on my blog as well.