Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Getting My Ducks in a Row


Things are starting to fall into place around here. I'm starting to relax and not worry so much about the craft fair. I've finished these bags, and a few more are lined up for sewing. I'm in love with this style and I'm having fun making them.
During this project, sewing became therapeutic again and a lot less stressful. Funny how that happened. All the linen for these bags came from one skirt I found at the thrift store. Can you believe that? I think I paid less than $2 for it! Much better than the $7.99 a yard linen from Joann's. I am having a little trouble with the pricing of some of my items though. How much should I price these bags for? They're about 10" wide, 5" high, and 5 " deep.

And all your well wishes must have really helped John out.By Monday afternoon, he was back to his old self. He wanted to play with Isaiah, help clean up and joking, and laughing. It's great to have him feeling back to normal. It really is amazing how this chemo is such a crazy cycle. I think all the good days really outweigh the bad days, and I'm really thankful for John only having to endure a few bad ones each cycle.
Happy Halloween to everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to get Isaiah to wear his costume. We'll see how that goes!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, those are lovely! Glad to hear John is feeling better.

Pricing: I'm no help at all, I'm afraid. Maybe $30? $35? Even though you may have gotten a bargain on fabric, you still have a lot of time and other things invested (electricity, thread, notions, machine wear and tear, etc.).

beki said...

I'm so happy to hear that John is feeling better! That's such good news.
Your bags are looking fabulous!

Breanna said...

The bags look fantastic! I can't help with pricing, sorry... They look like you should be able to get a lot for them though, they are beautiful. I am glad things are looking up for you guys. I tried to get Braeden into a costume this morning, but he started screaming "no way!" Hopefully it goes better for you!

Felicia said...

So glad he's feeling better. Your bags are lovely! Happy Halloween :)

Margaret said...

Dearest Ghoulfriend, Happy Halloweenie! I am in love with your bags too. I am sure you could get $30, I've seen them on Etsy for $50, and I saw one here in a Vermont handmade store for $138 (good luck, right?) Sending lots of Halloween hugs to Isaiah and John

Anonymous said...

yes, lovely little bags there - but I'm no help with the pricing.

continued well wishes for John.

African Kelli said...

I am thrilled too to hear John is feeling better!
now, on to those fabulous bags. How long did they take you? I'm thinking you charge a minimum of $60. They are handmade, one of a kind, and vintage linen. You deserve every penny. They are very pretty!

Anina said...

I'm SO happy John is feeling better!
As for pricing - I'm in the same boat right now with some things I'm making for a friend's sale. How do you make a little bit of money but not charge so much that people don't buy anything?

Anonymous said...

Love your bags. Did a double-take when I looked at the photo and then grabbed a ruler. The last bag I made, from a Simplicity pattern I modified, is almost exactly the same bag you came up with. I fashioned mine out of a table runner I got on clearance at Walmart -- no idea what somebody might pay for one. Glad to hear your husband is feeling better.

Mrs Moog said...

So pleased to hear John has been feeling better.
I love your bags and agree that pricing is tricky - this gets me very time so good luck! Don't be afraid to charge for your time though xxx

Unknown said...

It is good to hear that your husband is feeling better!

The bags are great--best wishes on the craft fair!