Monday, October 06, 2008

That's a lot of apples

On Saturday, my sister, cousin and I took Isaiah out to a gorgeous farm to do some apple picking. We assumed that since everyone was picking 2 "buckets" and using wheelbarrows, we should be doing the same. It was a lot of fun. Many "I almost peed my pants" moments. Then I saw a sign that said "1 bushel=22lbs". Nice. Between the three of us, we had picked 54lbs of apples. Perhaps that was a little excessive.
I ended up with most of the apples, so now I need some recipes people! I've already made crockpot applesauce and two apple pies. The applesauce was so freaking good. Here's how I did it: Roughly peel and chop up enough apples to fill crockpot about half-3/4 full. I left some skins in there for color. I don't mind the texture. Add 2 teas cinnamon, 1 pinch of nutmeg, 2 allspice berries, 1/2 teas fresh ginger, and 2 T of lemon. I also added a sprinkle of cane sugar because I like it more tart. If you want it sweeter, just add more. Add 2 cups of water, then put the cover on and put on high for 6 hrs or until your desired consistency. I think I'm going to try this bread recipe next. If I finish cleaning up my sewing room first, of course. Hope your Monday are starting well!

8 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

I have this in my favorites list for apple picking

http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=157764

Unknown said...

I dont have a recipe (sorry!)

But we did the same thing this weekend, though I only came home with about 10lbs.


Cant wait to see the recipes come in I will probably use them as a reference, so thanks for letting me ride on your coat tails.

Philigry said...

katie jean,
I love crockpot apple sauce! it is like apple pie filling! it looks like you guys had so mcuh fun picking.
I asked the same wuestion, and got a ton of great answers! lots of links for apple cake! i had never thought of that, but it sounds so good!
I have also cored apples, put into a greased pan, fill with brown sugar, oatmeal, butter, raisins and nuts, bake at 350, until apples get soft. serve with vanilla ice cream!

Amy said...

here is my apple post from last year...
http://myzoebug.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-great-big-apple-post.html
lots of recipes...and i may be adding a new caramel apple pie one soon...ENJOY!

Anina said...

I can't help you with apple recipes but it sure looks like you guys had fun.

jessica said...

I think I shared an apple cake last year on my blog that I love. I found it (ah the wonders of google): http://jumpupndown.blogspot.com/2007/10/little-bit-of-everything.html

Enjoy them and make sure to share anything yummy with us!

Becky said...

One of my favorite memories from living in the NE, is the apple orchards. At this time of year, I always miss them.

I am going to try the crockpot applesauce recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

lera said...

Katie, I bought a peck (or was it 1/2 peck?) of apples last week and that was a lot of apples for MY family. We've just been eating them, not using them for ingredients. They are almost gone after almost a week.