Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Meeting Heather Ross & Weekend Sewing




On Saturday I met up with Stephanie and Kristen to go see Heather Ross at a signing of her new book Weekend Sewing. We were all excited to go meet such a celebrity in the sewing world. She demonstrated the Little Girl's Smocked Dress from her book and it really made me wish I had a girl! Too cute! Anyway, it was so fun and we all chatted for a while afterward. She is just as nice and down to earth as she seems on her blog. We also got to see samples from her newest line Far, Far Away and it is just gorgeous. I cannot wait for this fabric line to come out. The fabric itself is actually made of two layers of fabric. It is the most wonderful feeling fabric and the prints are beautiful. Anyway, here is Heather and I. For some reason my fist is weirdly clenched. It's a very odd picture of me, but hopefully not too scary.



So more about the book. I have to say I really, really love this book. Yesterday I made the little boy shirt (Kai's shirt) for Isaiah. It only took a few hours (with lots of breaks in between) and it was really simply and easy. The only thing I have left to do it put on the buttons. Isaiah loves the shirt and it fits him perfectly. It's made with the Swim Class fabric from her Mendocino line.



I debated about buying this book at first because I already have so many craft/sewing books. But trust me, if you like sewing, then this is definitely a book that you'll want to add to your collection. It is great because I can imagine myself making every single project from the book, something that I could probably not say about the other sewing books I own. Not to mention that I was thrilled that there are projects for little boys in there. Her instructions are clear and easy to follow, plus all the diagrams are hand drawn, which I just love. Now Isaiah is demanding a pair of seahorse pants. Who am I to deny him a pair of handmade pants?

11 comments:

Jaime said...

I'm already a big fan of the Weekend Sewing book too (and I'll be meeting Heather this Friday on her tour).
The Kai shirt you made is adorable, great fabric for it. I've just cut out the pieces to make one for my son, I just need to learn how to make buttonholes first!

~Michelle~ said...

Woo-hoo! A celebrity -she counts, definitely! That is so much fun :) I'm going to have to look to see when she'll be in LA - maybe I can swing it to go

Jenn Maruska said...

Wow - Look at you, hangin' out with a sewing celebrity! That makes you famous, too! ; D

That shirt looks great - I bet Isaiah likes that it has a pocket right on the front. : )

Philigry said...

this is so sweet on him. i love it. i am going to have to check out that book.

Katie said...

Great post - love the shirt!

Anonymous said...

Aah..what a great opportunity you had :)
The shirt looks is great too. I'll check the book online.

Becky J. said...

Love the shirt!! and the little fish :) don't have the book....yet

beki said...

How exciting! The shirt turned out great :)

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

that shirt is darn cute! I think you convinced me to get the book. I have so many craft books, too, and haven't bought a new one since last summer. Weekend Sewing might have to be added to my collection, though!

Unknown said...

OOooh I am so jealous you go to meet Heather! She seems like such a sweetie.

Your little boy is so cute! And the shirt looks wonderful. Can I demand a pair of seahorse pants too? :p

Kathy said...

It sounds like you all had a great time! Steph really wanted me to go, but I had two little ones that would have had to go with me...I would not have had as much fun as you did ;)

I love Isaiah's shirt.

I have this book on my wish list. Will probably buy it soon. :)