Thursday, November 06, 2008

Lunchbag Tutorial

Ok, here it is. I was trying to get this up earlier this morning, but then I realized I placed the velcro on the wrong side! So, I had to remove that and then I decided to go with snaps instead. Anyway, here it is. Enjoy!


Materials Needed:

  • Linen (or fabric of choice for outside)
  • Colored Fabric Scraps
  • PEVA Shower Curtain (or plastic/vinyl lining of choice)
  • Snaps
  • Interfacing

A few notes before starting:

-I opted to use a shower curtain from IKEA that is made from PEVA, a food safe plastic. If this is not an option for you, feel free to use whatever you see fit. Since food may come in contact with the lining, I just figured better safe than sorry when it comes to food safety.

- For this tutorial, I am using snaps as a closure. I have also used Velcro, which works well. This is going to be completely based on preference for what to use, but the directions here are for the snaps only.

- Another idea would be to add a handle on the bag for easy carrying. This could easily be done before sewing in the lining, just by adding a length of twill or belting.

-I am using a recycled linen skirt. I often use these as opposed to buying linen by the yard. I like to use linen for this project because I enjoy its likeness to a traditional paper bag.

Ok, here we go!

1. Cut from PEVA (1) 20.75” w x 13.75” rectangle

(1) 6.5”w x 4.5”h rectangle

from linen (1) 6.5”w x 4.5”h rectangle

later you will need more linen for the bag itself, the size will depend on your patchwork strip, but it needs to be at least 20.75” w

2. Sew together fabric scraps to create a pleasing patchwork pattern. The height itself doesn’t matter much, as long as it’s at least 20.75” w. In this example, my strip is about 3” h, which includes seam allowances


3. Pin the strip to a piece of linen that is 20.75”w and at least 6” h. Sew across the width, using a .25” seam allowance. Press toward patchwork piece. Repeat this for the other edge of the patchwork piece.

4. You piece will now look like this (2nd picture). Cut this piece to measure 20.75”w x 14.75” h, with the patchwork piece running horizontally. I like to have the patchwork somewhere in the middle, maybe a little more toward the top. This is totally up to you where you want it to land.

5. Apply interfacing to the bag piece and the linen rectangle you previously cut. I like to leave a 1” space along the top without interfacing.

6. Match the two 14.75” sides of the bag, sewing along the edge, stopping .25” from the bottom. Backstitch.

7. To sew on the bottom, match one long side of the bottom with the raw edge of the bag where you left a .25” seam. Using a .25” seam, sew along the edge, starting and stopping .25” from the edge. At the end, clip the bag to the seam allowance, being careful not to cut past the stitching line. Continue this around the entire bottom until it is fully closed. Trim corners.

8. Repeat this same process with the PEVA lining.


9. Turn the linen bag inside out and press if needed. Turn the top 1” to the inside, along the entire piece. Open the fold and turn raw edge to crease, pressing along the way. Fold over again, creating a cuff approximately .5” inside

10. Applying the closure: On the front (one of the “long sides”), go from corner to top and press the side. Do this on all four corners.

- On the back side, place snap .75” from top and 1” on side, for both sides.
- Determine the placement of the snaps on the front side from the ones you just places.
They will most likely be about 1” from the sides and 3.75” from top.
- The best way I find to do this (at least with the snaps) is to attach both snaps on the wrong side, then fold the top of the bag like you’re closing it and press hard on the snaps. This should leave an impression for the snap placement, and then you can proceed to attach the snaps

11. To attach the lining: Insert the lining into the bag, wrong sides together. Slip the top edge of the lining under the cuff you created in step 9. Pin horizontally through the cuff to keep from slipping, making sure not to puncture the lining that shows. Sew around the entire edge, catching the lining in the cuff. It is best to sew close to the bottom edge of the cuff inside.



Et Voila! You have your very own lunchbag. I hope these instructions are clear. Please let me know if there are any question and I’ll be happy to answer them. And don’t forget to let me know if you do make one!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

that is so stinking cute! I love it! definitely bookmarking this! thanks!

Tonje said...

Great tutorial. I might even give it a try... my daughter's lunch bag is almost falling apart, and I've been thinking about making her a new one... now I have no excuse not to...

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

What a fun tutorial! Another item for my list. I also love that you recycled the linen from a skirt. Very cute.

Needled Mom said...

Very cute. One would certainly be the "hit" in the lunchroom.

Joy said...

This is great! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!!

Philigry said...

so great! thanks for sharing.

The Rausch's said...

wonderful! Can't wait to give it a try!!

Selina said...

Thanks so much! I will be making my mother-in-law one for Christmas! Love it.

Karyn said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I'd run to my sewing machine right now if a) I didn't have to go to work and b) I had the plastic.

Will do this soon!

lera said...

Thank you, Katie, for making this tutorial. Now I won't have to hear Karyn belly-aching over it any longer! LOL (Except now she'll say she can't find the plastic. lol. She knows I love her, so I can say this without offending her.)

Anina said...

So cute! Thanks!

Amanda Jean said...

I love the lunch bag!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial. This is going on my Christmas gift idea list... I even have an old linen skirt I could use : )

Anonymous said...

love it! Thanks for the tutorial!

Beth said...

Wow, thanks for the tute, I had been eyeing your lunch bags!

Chara Michele said...

Such a cute lunchbag!

Anonymous said...

Another awesome tutorial, Katie!

Cherub Kisses Boutique said...

What a cute idea!! I just found your blog through TwitterMoms :o)
Very neat...
Have a super Sunday!
Dee

Geek+Nerd said...

Oooh, I'm catching up on my blog reading and I just came across this tutorial. I love it! You+linen+patchwork=beauty! I'm definitely bookmarking this for a later date :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing tutorial - easy to follow from start to finish. Thank you! I now have a new lunch bag, completely recycled, for my son to start preschool with!

FYI I used a very heavy weight plasic bag instead of the vynel (sp?) and so far it works great.