Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A WIP finished!

With the end of bag month looming, and beautiful bags like this, I thought I'd finally finish my patchwork tote from InStitches. I have had a love/hate relationship with this bag since I started it. It was the first project in the book that really caught my eye and I think I was a little ambitious in starting it. While Amy Butler has great detail in her patterns, it is pretty much lost on me. Completely too wordy for my craft ADD. Seriously. I start reading, then the middle starts getting boring, skip to the end of the pattern, start sewing, then realize, shit, I should have read that more thoroughly. Which wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience if my seam ripper hadn't broken like 3 months ago and I never replaced it.





Oh, anyway, where am I going with this. Last night I finally got it together to finish the bag. I even stayed downstairs after dark when John was at work. I only got a little freaked out. So I happily sewed along until I realized, hmm, these handles are a little far apart. Riiiiiight, reading the directions problem again. Followed by the seam ripper issue, again. Those puppies are staying right where they are for now.




All in all, I'm not entirely happy with how the bag came out. Not enough disappointment to deter me from trying again though. After I finished sewing, I realized that the pattern isn't as difficult as I thought it was. I was just getting too confused by all the words. I used fusible fleece and I think it's perhaps a little too bulky for this project. Next time I'll try some flannel and maybe some of my 5" squares. Hopefully next time will be more successful.


And in other news, I have placed some water catching containers by our gutters in anticipation for some rain. (I'll try to send it up your way Lera). Kelli has declared this Green Week, and I'm really loving reading everyone's tips to better our habits for the environment. Now if only I could get Isaiah out of diapers. Although, now that I think about it, that may bring up some more poop problems.

18 comments:

beki said...

I think your bag looks great! I love the fabrics you used for the pathwork. I am so with you on Amy's style on directions. She confuses the poop out of me. Less is more, Amy, remember that!

Karyn said...

Katie, I love that bag!!!!

I have yet to tackle any projects from In Stitches. I must do that soon!

Sarah and Jack said...

Sigh. Diapers. Jack is going to be 3 in October and there is no end to the diapers in sight. How old is Isiah?

Sarah and Jack said...

Ooops, I think I missed an 'a', Isaiah.

African Kelli said...

Next time you will be more successful? You are kidding me. That bag is awesome! And is one of the most complicated projects in the book. You did great work there Katie! WOO HOO for a finished project!

Chara Michele said...

That bag looks wonderful!

No seam ripper? Oh my goodness, I could not live without mine:)

Deirdre said...

So pretty! Thanks for the info about the interfacing -- I still haven't found a good solution. Some bags are too droopy and fusible interfacing, while stiff, makes the fabric all wrinkle-y.

lera said...

Very cute bag.

Yes, Katie, please send your rain this way. We have an empty rain barrel just waiting to be filled again.

Heidijayhawk said...

i think your bag looks just fine. but i always like making a project the second time. totally have sewing ADD when it comes to AMY. brilliant but a wee bit long winded.

Jenn Maruska said...

Congrats on finishing your project!!!

Anina said...

I think it looks great! I love your fabric choices.

dawnkristine said...

looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I think it looks great! My favorite part, however, is your telling of the construction. You know I can relate completely to the whole "skip to the end" ADD sewing process.

We're 98 percent done potty training here. I consider that my contribution to the environment. That and having invested recently in reusable grocery bags, much to the amusement of cashiers across Atlanta. ("Don't bag that! I brought my own!")

jessica said...

I think it looks great! And no seam ripper? You are a brave woman! I have two, just in case one gets lost.

Di said...

I think the bag looks great- thanks for the heads up on Green weeK!!

Stephanie said...

It turned out great. I've been eying this pattern too.

3 months without a seam ripper!!! You're amazing. I can't live without mine (well, live=sew).

Amanda Jean said...

your bag looks great!

Anonymous said...

As I scroll back through your blog I'm seeing a square trend here! LOL Very pretty indeed.