Monday, July 23, 2007

What a bunch of squares

I'm officially in love with Amy Butler's patchwork bag pattern. This time I decided to wing it a little and just follow the process for making the bag. I was inspired by Denyse Schmidt's "What a bunch of squares" pattern so I made 4 squares and sewed them into panels.
After making some of these I was almost tempted to make a quilt instead. Then, I remembered that I wanted to start a project that I could actually finish, so luckily no quilts were started here. Anyway, I used the creme fabric around the squares for the top and bottom and quilted it with orange thread, Denyse Schmidt's fabric for the side panels, and a vintage orange zipper I found at the thrift store.


This bag came together a lot faster than the first one did, even with the modifications in size. Although, after finishing it, I was joking with John that it looked like a toaster cozy and he told me I should google it to see if people make them anymore. I said, I don't need to google it, I know people still make them!! So, if you see someone carrying this around, rest assured it's just a bag and not some crazy lady carrying her toaster with her.
For those if you asked if I'm putting these in my etsy store, I probably will be doing some shortly after I've made a few more. I want to wait until I can upload a bunch of things at one time.
Oh, and not to advertise myself even more, but I've put up all my American Girl things(among others ) up on eBay finally, so if you're interested, they're here.

19 comments:

Liz Harvatine said...

Very pretty! I love Denyse Schmidt. The squares really make the bag!

Jennifer said...

You're hooked! Lovely colors here too.

lera said...

Oooh! I love it. The squares are fantabulous.

Anina said...

Gee, you're definitely out-bagging me! I thought about making a different sized one too. And maybe using something more solid for the base because I'm too scared to put anything in mine in case the cardboard bends.

iSew said...

It doesn't exactly look like a toaster cozy, but a cozy definitely. lol. I love it though. I've got that Denyse Schmidt book and haven't made a thing with it. Just like to look at it over & over.

Karyn said...

Ok, that's it!!

I'm going to drag out my book right this very second and look at the pattern :)

(Love the bag!!!)

beki said...

Girl, you're on a roll!

Berber said...

Another beauty!

dutchcomfort said...

Great idea, the best of both designs to make a new one!

Funky Finds said...

thanks for reading funky finds! i love your bags!

Breanna said...

I love the bag! The colors are great.

jessica said...

Another lovely bag!! Wow - I am impressed!

African Kelli said...

Holy moly. These bags are SO GREAT!! I just love it. Nicely done. And I can definitely see the Denyse Schmidt inspiration there.

Anonymous said...

It turned out beautifully :)

Kim -today's creative blog said...

look at all the sewing you do!
Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on my blog. Todays Creative Blog.
kim

Anonymous said...

This bag is great! I love the compact shape!

Heidijayhawk said...

the bag is awesome katie!

Natasha said...

Wow, you have done a spectacular job on this bag. I have looked at that book a dozen times and have yet to buy it....now hmmmm I just might "need" that bag!!

Chara Michele said...

Oh my goodness! I think this is my favorite one that you have made in this style. Are you going to use it as a purse? I have looked at that pattern in the book, but just didn't know what I would use the bag for!