Friday, March 14, 2008

Where has the week gone?

Phew, that was a little unintended blog break. I've spent the last two days dealing with a sinus headache that never seemed to disappear. One day, I even had to take night time Tylenol Sinus because that's all I could find. Luckily, Isaiah took a four hour nap and I was able to rest. Today is feeling like a good day. It's supposed to be a high of 63, which is just perfect for me. I'm happy it's Friday and I'm looking forward to a weekend of sewing.

I did finish 7 clutches this week. Can you tell I'm really loving this pattern? I've had several people ask if I'm going to be selling this pattern. The answer is yes, but it is taking me a while to get the pattern pieces drawn up and directions figured out. I'm in cahoots with Stephanie to get her pattern out there too! Does anyone have any advice for us? We'd both like to know a good printing company that won't cost us an arm and a leg, or require us to order a minimum of 1000 pieces.

I'm also working on my first knit garment for Isaiah. It's going to be a hooded cardigan, hopefully. I've finished the back, and almost finished one sleeve. I do need some help, experience knitters. On the sleeve, I'm having a gap problem where the DPNs meet. It's not huge, but any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great weekend everyone!

14 comments:

Anina said...

If you need a pattern tester, I'm signing up!
You should contact Kathy (Pink Chalk Studio). She's done this and may have some advice.
Good luck with the hoodie. Looks cute. Are you knitting the sleeves in the round? I've found that moving the stitches around a bit helps with the gap, i.e. I knit an extra stitch or two from the next needle every time so that the place where the dpn's meet isn't always in between the same two stitches.
Does that make sense at all?

iSew said...

I'm trying to get some patterns written too. It's a lot of work, isn't it? I love the pouches!

Sarah and Jack said...

Maybe instead of printing it do it PDF style like Hillary does?

Philigry said...

you both have great patterns! love them. On the dpn's I can offer a bit of help. I have this problem too, and you have to make sure you really knit nice and tight in between the needles. I avoid them all together though, and I got an 8 inch round needle that I use for sleeves. I got mine at the local knitting store, but they have them on line too...maybe even a 12 inch would work?

Wendy said...

Is there anyway you would sell an already made clutch? I absolutely love them but I don't think that I would have the time or the capability to make one myself. They are soooo beautiful. I am definitely a clutch kind of gal myself.
Wendy

Stephanie said...

I'm loving the fabric combinations on those new wristlets!

Anonymous said...

These are really wonderful little pouches. Perfect and I love all the fabulous color combinations.

Good luck on the pattern production.

Kate said...

You're getting ladders when you switch from one dpn to the next. Make sure you give the first one or two stitches on each new needle a good tug. If you can't find a small circular and want to ditch the dpns all together try using two circulars. I just made fingerless gloves this way. Good luck.

Lissa Jane said...

I love your bags, they are so cute!
Why not just find a GOOD copier business locally? We have used SNAP printing (I am in Australia) to get things printed and it was very reasonable and also, officeworks, they were reasonable and the quality for both were excellent! the SNAP we emailed them the stuffs we wanted printed and it was great!

anyways good luck with your pattern busienss!

Lissa
Australia

Jenn Maruska said...

Love all those pouches - esp. the pink one! : )

Marcia said...

Kate is right, knit the first two stitches on a new needle a little snugger than the rest. Anina had another good idea, but sometimes this gets confusing if you lose sight of the beginning of your round. I use the magic loop with a long circular alot, but it's good to get comfortable with double pointed needles too.

Heidijayhawk said...

i am totally loving the clutches!! such awesome colors!

Anonymous said...

As far as the pattern printing goes, I would suggest using a print/copy shop. They specialize in short runs. I actually have a good online one I can recommend. I've had them do everything from posters to handbills to programs for a variety of projects.

Chara Michele said...

Those clutches look lovely! I think Anina had a great idea to contact Kathy of Pink Chalk Studio or otherwise maybe contact Linda of Craft Apple. (Oh and I will volunteer to be a pattern tester too if you need any! :)