Friday, September 10, 2010

Vintage Sheet Quilt

My pieced together quilt

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but this is the first finished quilt I've made with the 3 virtual quilting bees that I've been in. Two of those bees, I've done two round with, so really I have 5 quilts to finish. Five. I can hardly believe it myself. I am so thrilled to have something finished. I had actually intended it as a beach quilt but I couldn't get it done in time for our trip to the beach. My next thought was to maybe sell or auction it off to raise money for the Light the Night walk, but it has a few "mistakes." (John told me that I always am too critical of myself, but there's puckers, and they bother me!) So it will probably stay here with us or maybe be a nice Christmas present for someone.

My pieced together quilt

These blocks were from my Pieced Together Bee. Almost everyone made me more than one block, so I'll have plenty of blocks to make at least two more quilts. The blocks are made with vintage sheets and some more modern fabrics. I had asked them to make blocks like Elizabeth's of Oh, Fransson! Mod Sampler. The white sashing is actually a thrifted sheet, as is the back and binding. For the "batting" I used a flannel sheet I also thrifted and I think it might be the most ingenious idea ever, which I didn't come up with by the way, I read it somewhere. It gives a nice weight to the quilt but it's still light.

My pieced together quilt back

Have a great weekend! Now that Isaiah started pre-K I have a new appreciate for weekends. So happy that it's here!

Vintage sheet quilt finished

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful finish!!! Love it.

Sandy said...

Love it! You did an awesome job with the blocks from our group!

craftytammie said...

i love the backing too! so pretty! i use flannel to line my baby blankets, but hadn't thought of it for a larger quilt. off to rummage in my linen closet... i know i have a flannel sheet somewhere!

LuAnn said...

I think your quilt is just wonderful. My prayers to you and your family.

Nichole said...

this is beautiful! i love all of the bright colors together. :)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Gorgeous Quilt...Well done on a great finish!