Monday, September 01, 2008

A new obssesion and winners


I've long been admiring those who have turned selvedges into pretty objects. There were pincushions by Manda of Tree Fall and this doll quilt by Ric-Rac. But, the one that I really fell in love with was this quilt I found while browsing on flickr. It is simply stunning. Anyway, I started cutting off all my selvedges in sight, which were far less than I thought I would have.

I cut four backer squares from muslin and began foundation piecing the selvedges. It was a little time consuming, but let me tell you, I think I have a new obsession. Now the only problem is I have run out of selvedges, which is hard to believe, but at least it's a new excuse for buying fabric. There's a couple more images on flickr if you're interested.





And the winners of Friday's giveaway, according the the random number generator, are :



So, Philigry, Jessi, and Julia, please send me your address to katiebhandbags AT gmail DOT com, and I'll put them out in the mail this week.

17 comments:

Lisa said...

I have a huge collection of selvedges on my sewing room french door handle! I am looking for ideas! thanks!

Becky said...

I love the pillow and the idea of recycling what some would call waste. Thanks for sharing the idea and the finished product. I will keep it in mind the next time I have some selvedges.

Anina said...

It's absolutely stunning! That's a lot of selvedges!

Karyn said...

OMG!!! I love that!

Philigry said...

the pillow is so great, i may have to make one! love it!
I am so happy I won! yeah! my kiddos will love these books!
thanks, Katie!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE how you put this together - it looks so amazing!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on your blog, and just wanted to say that your pillow is awesome! I've seen things done with selveges before, and I have started collecting mine...I'm always bummed when I get fabrics that don't have usable selvages now!

LeeAnn said...

I really love that! It's so graphic. The numbered colored dots are my favorite parts.

Stephanie said...

Goodness Katie, that is gorgeous! I'll try to start saving my selvedges for you. :)

Rebecca said...

neato! i, too, have started at least saving my selvedges given all the lovely selvedge-useful projects i've seen of late. love your pillow, it's so smart looking!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I LOVE your cushion !! Great idea !!

Anonymous said...

Katie, that pillow is just awesome. Really love it!

CJ said...

LOVE THIS!! I think this would be in my future much sooner than a selvedge quilt. LOVELY!

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

I love that you made your selvedges into a pillow! Great idea, I'm saving them up myself.

Julia said...

That pillow is beautiful!!
ANd..So excited to add the books to my pre-schoollibrary!!Thank you!

Cheeziemommie said...

I had no idea that that lil strip actually had a name! :) I love what you, and the others, have done with them! I've also seen them used on scrapbook pages!

FinnyKnits said...

WOW! KATIE!

What a work of art and reuse. I love how this pillow looks and just wish I had the same patience.

Really beautiful and fun.