Thursday, June 14, 2007

My fingers hurt

You know that old lady in Happy Gilmore that is sewing quilts and she says to Ben Stiller "my fingers hurt." Yeah, that would be me. Now I'm waiting for someone to scream out "Oh yeah, now you're back's going to hurt because you just pulled landscaping duty."

I'm loving all this hand sewing, but I'm really feeling it in my fingers and elbow. The outcome is worth it though. This is my first time attempting a project like this and I'm learning along the way. I have a lot of stitches showing, some gaps, and some skewed fabric. I know if this were going to be a bigger quilt, that I wouldn't notice these things. But since it is so small, I'm noticing every single little detail and it's driving me nuts. Hopefully I'll be able to fake it when I quilt it. If I ever get around to that!

I've been sewing while Isaiah's playing, or at night when John's at Outback. I don't like being downstairs in my sewing room when it's dark outside. It creeps me out. This is a perfect solution because I can craft and be upstairs. At this rate, I may be starting another quilt top for my car ride on Friday.

On the cutting front, I have to cut out of 24 more fabrics. The great thing about this swap is I get to rediscover all of my fabrics. I feel like I keep buying new ones, and I neglect the ones that I have had forever. And I'm really having no problem finding 50 fabrics to cut either. So, apparently I am a real fabric hoarder. Thank goodness for swaps!

Oh, a few weeks ago, I got a scrap pack from Posie, and it had this fabric in there. Only a teeny piece though, and I'm wondering if anyone has one that looks similar to it, or the exact one. I'd love to swap with you for it, or even just buy it from you if you do. Just leave me a comment or e-mail me.

11 comments:

lera said...

You're really coming along on that quilt top. And cutting out those squares for you swap. No wonder your hands and arms ache.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! You're making a lot of progress.

Karyn said...

That is looking super so far!! Is this a project that I need to bring to the cottage with me in July when we go on vacation and I'm separated from my sewing machine??

Anina said...

It looks really cute! I might have to start a project like this too, because my sewing machine is probably going to the "doctor" tomorrow.

Rebecca said...

It looks great! I really like the combination of fabrics you have chosen! Have a great time in NY this weekend. :)

Jennifer said...

Wow! Is that tedious or what? Maybe I should try that some time!

Berber said...

It looks wonderful! Such scrappy fun :)

Jess said...

Oh my gosh, it's so cute I'm almost tempted to make one on my vacation to the Cape next month.

Natasha said...

Looks great!! Wish I could help you with the fabric. I have it with a purple background.

Heidijayhawk said...

that is really something katie! i am not a big fan of isolating myself in order craft when my hubby is at work at night. makes me want to take up knitting.

Breanna said...

Wow, you are really making progress. It looks fantastic! Have fun in New York!